Although there are 10 airports for international flights, the most common stops are: La Habana, Varadero, Cayo Largo, Holguín and Santiago de Cuba.

From Europe, you can get to Cuba with different scheduled flights and some charters operating with itineraries and established time tables.

Among the official airlines there are: Aeroflot, Air France, Air Europa, Iberia and KLM. The non- official, but having regular flights are: Blue Panorama and Neos from Italy, Condor from Germany and Virgin Atlantic from England.

From La Habana, those who want it or need it can find flights to different countries in Central America, the Caribbean, or South America with Copa. There are not direct flights to the United States, but they can be reached through a third country. The best connections are by Cancún (Mexico), Nassau (Bahamas) or Cayman Islands.

For those who have a private vessel at their disposition; in Cuba, they can find different "marinas" equipped to receive nautical tourism: Marina Hemingway in La Habana, the Chapelin dock, Gaviota in Varadero, in Cayo Coco-Cayo Guillermo (Jardines del Rey), Bahía de Naranjo (Holguín), in the Northern coast. In the South there are: The María la Gorda Diving Center (Pinar del Río) Cabo San Antonio, El Colony in the Island of Youth, Cayo Largo del Sur, Cienfuegos and Punta Gorda in Santiago de Cuba. 

Coming from the sea, it is a must to communicate with the Customs authorities before entering the territorial waters (12 nautical miles from the insular platform ), using these channels HF (SSB) 2760 of the Coast Guard and the 2790 of the Tourist Network.

To have access the national territory, by sea or by air, the citizens coming from non-convened countries, need a tourist visa granted by the Cuban Consular Offices abroad or by the authorized Tourist Agencies. The value of this visa is 25 Euros per month, extendable in situ.


In Cuba, you can freely import personal objects such as jewelry, photo and video cameras , "lap tops", cell phones, sports gear and fishing rods , two bottles of liquor, a carton of cigarettes or the equivalent (400 gr.) of tobacco; and medicines a maximum of 10 kg.

The items of no strict personal use can be imported by 25 USD, if they are accompanied by the proper documentation de of their value. For this value, 50 USD are tax free, while for the rest 200the tax applied is a 100%.

The entrance, selling and consumption of narcotics and pornography is not allowed, along with the entrance of hemo-derivatives, wireless phones, electric appliances and fire arms, except the ones duly authorized for hunting.

There is no limitation to the importation of foreign money, declaring a sum going over 5.000 USD is good practice though. In case of the exportation of an equal or superior sum, you need the required declaration from the Custom House justifying the ownership of such an amount of money.

On leaving the country, you can take 23 cigars, packed or loose without receipt. For more cigar taking, it is necessary to present the purchase invoice authorized by Cia. Habanos S.A., a copy is handed in to the Custom House at the moment of your departure. The cigars, in this case, should be kept in their original containers, with their warranty seals; otherwise, they would be confiscated.

For the exportation of works of arts or antiques it is necessary to have the OK from the Registro Nacional de los Bienes Culturales. In case of a great deal of gold or silver, you need to apply for permission from the Banco Nacional de Cuba.

Eventually, there is a tax for the excess of luggage paid to the airliner, not exempted from airport taxes.

On leaving the country, there is an airport tax of 25 Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC).


For products and services for the tourists, visitors use the Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC), whose Exchange rate is 1 USD.

Any kind of currency can be exchanged at the airports, banks, hotels or Exchange Offices (CADECA) in all the main centers. Various types of credit /debit cards are accepted, preferably Visa and Mastercard. The latter is no longer accepted for drawing cash at the ATMs. The Postepay card is also accepted. American Express, and other American issued cards are no longer accepted either.

The Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) is neither importable nor exportable.


To make a call to Cuba from abroad you need the international code: +53, then; the local code and later, the phone number you want to get to (for La Habana it is 7).

To make a call from Cuba, you can get cards at the tourist offices at the hotels or at ETECSA offices. International cards cost 10 or 20 CUC. The telephone rates from and to Cuba are fairly high on average.


For passengers coming from Europe there are no special sanitary measures. It is convenient to bring repellents for the mosquitoes and a high-factor sunscreen to use.


Based on the international conventions, especially about the endangered fauna, it is not allowed to take animals, dissected or alive, or articles made with materials obtained from protected species.

Exportation of crafts made with the flora or fauna is permitted if certified by the CITES in Cuba; that is why, it is good practice to get information before the purchase in the places authorized for the artisans.


You must hold valid travel health and accident insurance before traveling to Cuba. Anyway, there are excellent centers for the assistance on emergencies in all the principal cities or tourist places.


Casual and practical and light clothes are suggested along with comfortable and resistant shoes. A light raincoat is also convenient, especially in the summer season and a sweater for the air conditioned or the eventually low temperature in the winter months. In cabarets, theaters or restaurants, adequate clothing is also suggested.


There are many opportunities to buy the local crafts at the hotels and tourist villas or in cities. The "typical" things are naturally, the cigar and rum.


No special restrictions to take videos and photographs are issued, except for military or protected zones which are properly signaled as such. Inside museums and other cultural institutions there could be restrictions indicated in situ. The images taken with journalistic character or for commercial purpose should be authorized beforehand.


Eventually, if you need an extension of your visa or a change of the Tourist status, you can ask for information in your hotel or in the institutions for the assistance to tourism.


In Cuba, the power supply is usually 110v- 60 Hz, although you can frequently find the 220v. Anyway, a voltage travel converter is recommendable as well as an adapter for round and plain outlets, a "Schuco" reducer for the German types.


During the daylight saving, the difference with Greenwich is -5 hours (-6 from Spain) not always coinciding with the European time change, as there can be a brief period, in which the difference is 5 or 7 hours with Spain. In the solar hour period the difference with Greenwich is -5 hours.